As we speak, I'm sitting in my IKEA chair, drinking from an IKEA mug, and resting that mug on an IKEA coffee table between sips.
As a 20-something with approximately zero dollars between rent and bills, I appreciate the fact that I can get sleek furniture for a fraction of what I'd pay if I went to a store where people with lots of dollars like to shop.
Business Insider recently released a list of the furniture powerhouse's best-selling pieces. Do I have most of them? Maybe. Do you? Quite possibly. But here's the thing. With help from some of the internet's many do-it-yourselfers, you can transform the IKEA staples everyone has into pieces that are stunning, functional, and totally unique. Here are five items every IKEA lover has and 50 ways to give them new life. Click the blue links to purchase and to find detailed instructions!
1. Lack Tables
At just $24.99, the black Lack coffee table I have is a sleek, affordable addition to my living room. Although I haven't altered mine, here are a few projects that could revamp yours. Why not bring a shabby-chic vibe to your space by creating this wood topper?
Here are a few more Lack table ideas:
- Give two Lack end tables a fresh coat of paint and combine them to make this nightstand.
- Add metal studs and accents to make it look like a million bucks.
- Upholster the top and turn it into an ottoman.
- Go a step beyond that by creating skirted ottomans.
- Make this sweet LEGO table for the kiddos.
- Add a coat of chalkboard paint to the top for more kid-friendly fun.
- Take two end tables and turn them into a cool storage cube.
- Harness those inner decoupage skills of yours and cover a Lack table in your favorite design.
- Round up all those pennies you'll never use and make a gorgeous copper tabletop.
- This rope-wrap design would look amazing in any beach house.
- Turn this basic staple into an accent piece with wallpaper.
Perhaps IKEA's most ubiquitous design, the Billy series is really versatile. For starters, you could optimize your small space by adding glass doors and building out instead of up.
But there's plenty more where that came from. Check these Billy bookcase ideas out:
- Put a few sets behind your couch to create a stylish accent table that doubles as storage.
- Create a book-lover's paradise by lining an entire wall with Billy shelves and installing track lighting.
- Spare no space by creating built-in bookshelves that frame the door.
- Build a kitchen island with plenty of storage and finish with a butcher block countertop.
- Organize the mudroom by making the kids their own cubbies.
- Keep everything your baby needs within arm's reach by adding Billy shelves to the end of the crib.
- Make a statement by adding crown molding and colorful backsplashes to the shelves.
- Does your little one need a new dollhouse? Make one for her out of some Billy units.
- Add arches for a glamorous effect.
- Building an at-home bar has never been easier!
- If you love industrial design, this cabinet project is for you.
3. Poäng Chairs
One way to make your Poäng chair totally unrecognizable is to cut the midsection, replace the cushions with durable fabric, and turn it into this elegant seat.
Here are a few more Poäng hacks:
- Create the perfect surface for your laptop by extending one arm of the chair.
- Use the frame to make a lightweight desk.
- Switch things up by making slipcovers from your favorite fabrics.
- Substitute the bent wooden legs these crafters used with Poäng legs to create some gorgeous chairs.
- Give your Webbing Back Poäng a new lease on life with this project.
- Build an epic racing cockpit for the gamer in your life.
- Replace cushions with wooden panels to create a stunning outdoor chair.
- Make plushier cushions.
- Feeling adventurous? Turn the chair into a sled.
One crafter used marble contact paper to glam her table up and I'm living for it.
Simple tweaks are what revamping a Docksta table is all about. Here's a little list to help get you started:
- Add tiles to the top for a mosaic look.
- Cover the tabletop with chalkboard paint to label everything you serve at your next cocktail party.
- Use metallic spray paint on the base to up the luxury factor.
This is another collection I can't live without. How beautiful is this window bench Kallax hack?
The possibilities really are endless. Need some inspiration? Coming right up!
- Use Kallax shelves to revamp your laundry room.
- This craft station is seriously amazing.
- If you'd like a standing desk with lots of storage, you have to see what they made.
- Create a command center for your busy, kid-filled home using a few shelving units.
- Here's a TV stand for all you mid-century modern lovers out there.
- With a few simple changes, you can turn a small Kallax shelf into a bar cart.
- Grab a few thin pieces of wood to create some nooks for your favorite bottles of wine.
- Two kiddos sharing one room? Use Kallax shelves to create a corner bed frame.
- Make small-space living a breeze with a Kallax platform bed.
- This banquette seat is so cool.
- You'll be seriously impressed by her rustic apothecary project, so why not try it?