Breakfast is the most important meal of the day, but for many people, it's also the most difficult. Finding time to chow down on something nutritious is almost impossible when you have to get ready for work and get the little ones off to school.
At this point, most of us feel like eating anything at all is an accomplishment. As it turns out, however, some foods that we think are healthy breakfast stapes are actually terrible to eat on an empty stomach.
Even those of us with the sturdiest stomachs can see long-term negative effects on our health by eating the following 10 foods first thing in the morning. But don't fret! We also have 10 foods that are okay to eat right after getting out of bed. While you might have to trade in a breakfast favorite or two, there are plenty of delicious alternatives.
1. Yogurt and other fermented milk products form hydrochloric acid in an empty stomach. Over time, this can disrupt your gut's natural bacteria system.
2. Pastries and donuts are high in yeast, which can irritate the stomach and cause gas. Not to mention they contain a ton of sugar, which brings us to our next point.
3. Eating sugary foods first thing in the morning, like donuts or cereal, spikes your insulin. This can lead to diabetes.
4. Likewise, bananas on an empty stomach increase magnesium in the blood, which can harm your heart.
5. If you have frequent heartburn, it could be from consuming citrus fruits and juices first thing in the morning. While that's annoying in the short term, frequent consumption can lead to gastric ulcers.
6. Pears contain crude fiber that can cause blockage and injure your stomach's mucous membrane.
7. Much like citrus fruits, tomatoes raise the acidity of the stomach, leading to heartburn and gastric ulcers.
8. Believe it or not, spinach, cucumber, and other green vegetables are also high in acid. Eating them on an empty stomach is known to cause gas, heartburn, and abdominal pain.
9. Think twice about reaching into your spice cabinet during breakfast. Spices can increase acid production, leading to digestive issues.
10. Cold, carbonated drinks (even sparkling water) reduce blood supply to the stomach, which slows down your digestive system. Consuming them first thing in the morning can increase belly fat.
So, what are you supposed to eat on an empty stomach?
Here are 10 options that will keep you full while protecting your stomach and digestive tract.