Chocolate pie, chocolate milkshakes, chocolate cake, chocolate bars...I really don't care what form it comes in, I just LOVE chocolate!
Usually, I try to abstain from the treat as much as possible. I've always thought that it would lead to acne, rotten teeth, and other health problems, but it turns out that the opposite is true. If consumed regularly in moderation, chocolate has many physical and mental benefits.
Here are 22 reasons that you can eat chocolate without feeling guilty. Who knew that an indulgence was also a great way to keep your body in tip-top shape? Safe to say, I'm going to be eating a lot more chocolate from now on!
1. Eating chocolate releases serotonin in the brain, which leads to feelings of happiness and well-being.
2. Dark chocolate is chock-full of flavonoids, antioxidants that help reduce your risk of heart disease.
3. It also helps to hydrate the skin. Those who eat dark chocolate have denser skin and fewer wrinkles than those who do not.
4. Some individuals who suffer from migraines have also found relief from eating dark chocolate.
5. A Harvard study found that the consumption of cocoa beans improved blood pressure.
6. Cocoa beans also improved the cognitive function in Alzheimer's patients.
7. Chocolate has also been known to boost verbal fluency in the elderly.
8. According to the Journal of Psychopharmacology, those who eat chocolate are less stressed than those who don't.
9. Moms who ate chocolate while pregnant have babies who smile more often than those who abstained.
10. The theobromine in chocolate stifles a cough almost as well as codeine. Bonus: It tastes a lot better, too!
11. Hardly anyone gets enough vitamins. Luckily, chocolate contains vitamins B1, B2, B3, and E.
12. Chocolate eaters have an easier time keeping off weight than non-chocolate eaters. It's thought that eating chocolate in moderation actually makes your metabolism work faster.
13. You know how your mom used to say candy would rot your teeth out? Turns out, cocoa butter covers the teeth with a thin film that protects against the growth of bacteria.
14. Chocolate also helps ward off diabetes by improving insulin sensitivity.
15. The antiviral and anti-inflammatory properties of chocolate flavonoids go a long way in boosting your immunity and reducing the frequency of the common cold.
16. There's nothing quite like the feeling of being in love. Luckily for all us single folks, the phenethylamine found in dark chocolate recreates that feeling!
17. Dark chocolate also helps keep arteries flexible, which prevents them from clogging.
18. If you have pale skin, eat a chocolate bar before hitting the beach. Flavonoids have been found to help protect against sunburns.
19. A single chocolate bar contains 98 percent of your daily magnesium and 67 percent of iron.
20. The amino acid found in chocolate can help cure a hangover.
21. Pregnant women who eat chocolate are less likely to suffer from preeclampsia and other common pregnancy complications.
22. Last but not least, chocolate makes you smarter! It increases the brain's blood supply and dilates blood vessels, which improves all sorts of mental and physical functions.
Who else is craving some chocolate? At last, we can enjoy it without feeling any guilt!