It's strange that many people don't consider television shows, films, and video games to be "art" because of their violent and provocative content. But, have you ever looked at some of the most famous classical paintings?
Some of the most famous paintings of the old world are downright vulgar. Nudity and disturbing images of violence such as deities eating babies whole, women having sex with animals, and even beheadings plaster the walls of art museums everywhere.
Not only that, but these paintings are nearly priceless. People view them sipping on wine and possibly even adjusting their monocles. When you really consider the subject matter here, it seems insane.
1. This is why I don't trust horses. I don't care what they usually eat, I don't play around with animals that could easily digest me.
Diomedes Devoured by Horses - Gustave Moreau
2. That's one way to decorate for Halloween...
The Disasters of War - Francisco Goya
3. Here is the god Saturn consuming a baby. No idea why they both have to be naked.
Saturn Devouring His Son - Peter Paul Rubens
4. Apparently, Satan has a really sinister penchant for streamers.
Hell - Hans Memling
5. Is it cold underneath Death's night cloak, or is just me?
Water Ghost - Alfred Kubin
6. Maybe these men aren't awful and are just helping these babies nap?
Massacre of the Innocents - Peter Paul Rubens
7. Okay, who invited the carnivorous Eagle Pharaoh to the party?
The Garden Of Earthly Delights - Hieronymus Bosch
8. This HAS to be considered evidence in a murder, right?
Heads Severed - Théodore Géricault
9. This seems like a normal painting...and then LEG.
The Judgement of Cambyses - Gerard David
10. Let's hope these two are conspiring to put her hand in warm water.
The Nightmare - Henry Fuseli
11. Can't these goatmen just get along?
The Punishment of Marsyas - Titian
12. "Ohhhh haaaayyy, guys! Why you fighting?"--Winged Demon in the background.
Dante and Virgil in Hell - William-Adolphe Bouguereau
13. I don't even wanna how this artist got his models.
Anatomical Pieces - Théodore Géricault
14. Me on the toilet after a night of Taco Bell...
Study after Velázquez's Portrait of Pope Innocent X - Francis Bacon
15. It gets better, spooky skeletons. It gets better.
Untitled - Zdzisław Beksiński
16. This is essentially how I feel after work.
Deterioration Of Mind Over Matter - Otto Rapp
17. Say no to mushrooms, kids.
The Temptation of St. Anthony - Salvator Rosa
18. This artist was aHEAD of her time.
Judith Slaying Holofernes - Artemisia Gentileschi
Do you feel cultured yet? Honestly, these paintings are way edgier than any Ren and Stimpy cartoon. Good grief.