There are so many tips, tricks, and old wives' tales about gardening. It can be difficult to decipher the ones that work from the ones that only end up making you work twice as hard for only little sprout. If your green thumb is starting to feel a bit sore, these hacks will perk it right back up.
From flowers to fruits and veggies, you'll be the envy of every other lawn on the block in no time.
1. Don't break your back lugging heavy soil bags: use a tarp or table cloth to drag them.
2. Make weeding easier by saturating the soil in water first.
3. Test your seeds with moist paper towel.
4. Soak your seeds for at least 24 hours before planting.
5. Create biodegradable seed starters with toiler paper rolls.
6. A lemon rind works well, too.
7. Save space by growing your potatoes vertically.
8. Make your tomatoes sweet with a sprinkle of baking soda.
9. Coffee grounds will enrich your soil and keep it safe from critters.
10. Eggs will also give your plants a calcium boost and detract pests.
11. Who needs Miracle-Gro when you have epsom salt!
12. Repurpose broken pots into plant markers.
13. Or customize some cute stones.
14. Put diapers in your pots. No, really.
15. Make a cheap hanging succulent garden with a shower caddy.
16. Use a shoe organizer to keep your herbs in line.
17. Lazy gardeners can use a paper towels to keep their plants watered.
18. ...or a plastic soda bottle.
19. Grow your own basil from leftover store bought cuttings.
20. Same goes for celery.
21. And onions!
22. Don't slice your succulent cutting too short.
23. Landscaping isn't just on land: design awesome moss graffiti.
24. Coffee filters will stop soil from leaking through your pots' drainage holes.
25. Your flowers will stay fresher longer in the vase if you get 'em a little drunk.
26. Alum will keep your hydrangeas perky and pretty longer.
27. Build an easy, apartment-friendly trellis with zip ties and bamboo.
28. Keep your seeds organized with a photo album.
Now grab your gardening gloves and get started. Happy planting!