When you think of essential oils, you probably think of aromatherapy, spa treatments, and other luxurious treats. Sure, it's great to spend a day pampering yourself with rose, peppermint, and tea tree oils, but did you know that essential oils can be used for so much more than fancy facials? They can take nasty stains off your walls, tame an upset stomach, and freshen your breath. To find out how to hack into the full power of essential oils, check out the 18 ideas below.
1. Dab lemon oil onto a towel and use it to wipe crayon markings or stickers off walls.
2. Mix your favorite essential oils with one part water and one part vodka. Put the mix into a reed diffuser to make your home smell clean and fresh.
3. Put a few drops of tea tree oil into smelly shoes to deodorize them.
4. If you're having cramps, take a bath infused with rose oil; its antispasmodic characteristic means it'll soothe your muscles.
5. Use hot water and lemon oil to clean wood cutting boards instead of soap. It will keep them from splintering.
6. If your kitchen is filled with lingering cooking odors, put your favorite essential oils in a pot of boiling water to get rid of them.
7. Love the taste of cinnamon? Add a few drops of cinnamon oil to any recipe for an extra kick.
8. Tangerine oil can help neutralize stomach acid. If you aren't feeling well, try drinking it with your water.
9. Put a few drops of any essential oil in your laundry for an all-natural fragrance.
10. Citronella oil is found in candles and torches, but you can apply it directly to your skin to repel mosquitos.
11. After cleaning out a stinky fridge, rub a mixture of water and essential oil on the shelves for a fresh scent.
12. Putting germanium oil on your dog can keep ticks from burrowing into their skin.
13. Add flavor to bottled water with a drop of lemon, lime, or orange oil.
14. Keep a small bottle of peppermint oil with you when you're on the go. It's a great all-natural breath freshener.
15. Lime oil is an astringent, so dab it onto under-eye circles to tighten the skin.
16. Rosemary oil can help make thin hair feel full. Add a few drops to your shampoo next time you wash your hair.
17. Put your favorite essential oils in a warm bath to relax after a long day.
18. If you have a sore throat, try drinking water mixed with a few drops of basil oil to help cool your throat.
I love the smell of lavender, and these ideas have inspired me to take a long bath infused with lavender oil when I get home from work. I'm definitely going to try putting peppermint oil in my next batch of laundry, as well. Which one of these tricks will you try first?