Despite being one of the most important parts of a woman's wardrobe, bras can be incredibly frustrating.
It seems almost impossible to get a consistent fit and to find bras that look and feel good all day long. Sure, you can walk into Victoria's Secret and get measured, but do you know what your size really means? And what about all those styles?
It can seem like a puzzle that you're just not meant to solve, but you don't have to suffer and be uncomfortable! Check out these tips to help choose the bra that's right for you.
1. First things first: It's important to know what the terms are. Knowing what types of bras are out there will help you decide which one is right for you.
2. Figure out what type of chest you have. This can be essential to finding the right bra for you. For a visual guide, check out this (NSFW) breakdown from HerRoom.
3. Figure out your real bra size. Most women are wearing the wrong size, and the only way to know your size is to break out the tape measure and enter them into a calculator like this one from Linda The Bra Lady.
4. Remember that different brands may feel or look different on your body, so your size may fluctuate. Use these tests to make sure a new bra fits correctly.
5. If your size isn't commonly found in stores or if you're interested in innovative bra styles without tags or straps and hooks designed to fit more comfortably, try online companies like ThirdLove.
ThirdLove's bra shopping app also has the technology to scan your body to help you find the right size and fit, which is completely amazing.
6. Finally, if you're nervous about figuring all of this out yourself, see a bra specialist. Most department and lingerie stores have specialists on-site.
Here's a rundown from BuzzFeed of one woman's experience seeing six bra specialists in one day and her tips on how to interpret the results.
(via Downtown Demure)