Ad Blocker Detected

We've noticed you're currently running ad blocking software. The contents of this site are available for free thanks to the contributions of our sponsors. If you cannot see the entire article, we would appreciate if you would deactivate your ad blocker and refresh the page before continuing to browse.

Thank you.

KEEP SCROLLING FOR MORE GREAT CONTENT

They Knew He Had An Allergy And Gave Him This Anyway. Now The Toddler Is Dead.

NOVEMBER 22, 2017  —  By Sarah Jewel  
Sarah Jewel

Sarah Jewel

Animal and pizza lover with an Internet addiction. Nerd to the max. Currently residing in the land of beautiful winters.

Lots of people joke about those with food allergies, acting like it's not a big deal.

For the people living with those allergies, however, the effect is far from funny. Depending on the severity of the allergy, people could break out in hives, go into anaphylactic shock, or even die.

That's why it's essential that people working in restaurants or taking care of children know exactly what kinds of allergies they're dealing with. One family has been struck by tragedy, however, when their son's Pre-Kindergarten fed him something the family says they knew he couldn't have.

The Center for Family Services in New York City has been temporarily closed pending an investigation into the death of Elijah Silvera, a 3-year-old boy who had a severe dairy allergy.

Silvera was allegedly given a grilled cheese sandwich by an adult who works at the facility. His family says the workers at the preschool were all made aware of his dairy allergy and what could happen if he consumed it.

New York City's Administration for Children's Services released a statement on Twitter, calling the incident a tragedy and pledging to continue investigating further.

A family friend is currently raising money for Silvera's family on GoFundMe, and a portion of the funds raised will be donated to "FARE" Food Allergy Research & Education, "the largest nonprofit working on behalf of the food allergy community. "

(via CNN)

What a devastating tragedy. This was totally preventable. Here's hoping the investigation gets to the bottom of this so no other children are harmed.

Load another article