When it comes to most of our favorite foods, we usually encounter them only after they've been processed to a state that we're familiar with.
In most cases, we first meet the delicious fruits and vegetables that we'll later eat when we pick them up at our local supermarket. We know what they look like on the store shelves, and we know what we look like once we're done preparing them at home. However, I’m willing to bet that we're all pretty clueless as to how our go-to foods are grown.
Unless you work in the farming industry, you probably won't be able to guess these 13 everyday foods based on their plants.
1. This nut is found in traditional Chinese cuisine.
2. This tart berry is a staple of your Thanksgiving spread.
3. This bean helps give you your chocolate fix.
4. This tropical fruit makes for a mean smoothie ingredient.
5. This prickly veggie is the star of a delicious dip.
6. Monkeys go crazy for this fruit.
7. This bean will give you a caffeinated buzz.
8. This flower is sure to spice up your favorite foods.
9. This tropical fruit shares a name with a bird.
10. This tropical fruit is delicious on its own, but it also helps turn your cake upside down.
11. This bean helps flavor everything from extracts to ice cream.
12. This nut is unique because of its green exterior.
13. These tiny seeds top your classic burger buns.
(via Bored Panda)