Did you know that one of this year’s hottest DIY materials is something that may have been used to build your home?
Shiplap is a type of wooden board that is often used in the construction of siding for homes. It is typically found behind drywall and is known for being relatively low maintenance. And because of its impressive strength, it can endure harsh weather conditions.
The idea of bringing shiplap to the decor side of the home has become quite popular thanks to popular television shows such as HGTV’s Fixer Upper. In a number of episodes, hosts Chip and Joanna Gaines have used the material as a decorative tool -- but trust me, shiplap is not just for professional DIYers.
You might think that incorporating shiplap into your home would be a daunting task, but it’s actually very easy to work with. Here’s a quick tutorial video that shows how to build shiplap walls:video-player-present
Now that you know how to plank your walls with shiplap, here are 13 shiplap design ideas that'll make your home decor something to admire:
1. Save money on paint by installing a beautiful accent wall that will add a bit of elegance to your bathroom.
2. You know you can use shiplap to build walls, so why not give your floors the same treatment?
3. Turn your living room entertainment area into the highlight of your house.
4. Add just a touch of shiplap to your fireplace...
5. ...or give the entire thing a makeover.
6. Make your stairwells more rustic by adding shiplap.
7. Even the tiniest spaces in your home can become stunning with a bit of shiplap.
8. Use shiplap to help make your home office a peaceful and relaxing place to work.
9. Putting a few planks of shiplap above your bathroom vanity can completely transform the space.
10. Give your children's homework spot a modern look that'll make them actually want to study.
11. Whether it's indoors or outdoors, this shiplap bench is the perfect addition to any home.
12. Craft a piece of shiplap artwork for your kitchen or any other room that needs a gorgeous touch.