Back before there was an app for just about everything and iPhones were about as ubiquitous as it gets, life was so much simpler.
Today's kids will never fully understand the joys of having to rewind a VHS tape back to the beginning or taking roll of camera film to the nearest drug store in anticipation, only to have half your photos come out blurry. But that was all part of its charm. Nineties kids and even those born in the early 2000s may not have had smart phones or bluetooth, but if I’m being totally honest, I don't think we missed out.
But like they say, “out with the old, and in with the new.” So to celebrate just how far technology has come in the last few decades, here are 30 throwback toys and gadgets that time forgot.
1. Before there was "Netflix and Chill," there was, "Be kind. Rewind."
2. Sony's Walkman was supposed to be a portable listening device that you could take anywhere. But let's be honest, how far were you REALLY willing to carry that thing?
3. The Poo-Chi was a much smaller investment parents could make for children who just would not stop crying about getting a dog.
4. Long before text messaging and voicemail, it was nearly impossible to see any business professional without a beeper attached at their hip.
5. In the days before blogging and data decryption, teens kept their crushes and other secrets private in a password protected journal.
6. HitClips players were basically the iPods of their time, except these digital clips only played a minute of all your favorite Top 40 hits.
7. To introduce a whole new generation to the home computer, Apple released the iMac G3, which came in a variety of neon colors to appeal to families and kids of all ages. I remember when my school got fresh new iMacs in blue and purple!
8. I pretty much visited my aunt every weekend just because she had a Nintendo 64 in her house.