If you've seen the horror movies "Annabelle" or "Dead Silence," you might already be a bit nervous around puppets.
These things are meant to be cute and entertaining, but there's something about their painted-on smiles and jerky movements that can also be really, really unsettling. We've gathered photos of 20 terrifying puppets that will give you some serious nightmare fuel. A few are meant to be creepy, while others look scary because of a lost battle with time. Either way, I'm definitely going to have bad dreams tonight.
1. Who decided that making this thing was okay?
2. A serial killer definitely lives here.
3. This red-faced puppet was abandoned at the Bread and Butter Puppet Theater, a truly terrifying place in its own right.
4. Sometimes, it's hard to tell what's creepier -- the puppet or the person holding it.
5. See what I mean?
6. No one should ever have to stumble upon this in a creepy basement.
7. The strings on marionettes always remind me of a hangman's noose...
8. And that goes double when they're hanging in trees!
9. If I found this in my attic, I'd move immediately.
10. This fang-toothed bunny puppet arose from a watery grave like Jason Voorhees.
11. And this terrifying German puppet has been hanging around since the 1870s!
12. With recent news headlines, I think we're all a little afraid of clowns.
13. On the flip side, there's no real reason to fear this little puppet, but he's unsettling all the same!
14. Even just the head of a puppet is enough to induce nightmares.
15. What kind of black magic nonsense is this?