No one likes going to the doctor nowadays. Even if you forget about the cost of health insurance, no one likes being probed and examined, even if it's for their own good. Apparently, it used to be a lot scarier.
After looking at some of these vintage medical devices, I'm very happy to be living in the modern era. Some of these things are seriously horrifying, like #9. I would not want that anywhere near me.
1. Ice-cube mask.
2. Portable respirator for polio.
3. French 16th century bullet extractor.
4. Device to shape the nose.
5. Mouth gag/mouth stretcher from the 1930's.
6. Anti-masturbation codpiece.
7. Surgical saw from the 1930's.
8. A portable operating chair from the WWII era.
10. 17th century amputation saw.
11. 1830's domestic enema machine.
12. Blood-letting device.
13. Vintage syringe kit.
14. Civil War era venereal disease kit.
15. Rectal dilators.
Basically, all of these vintage medical tools would hurt. A lot.
The next time I complain about going to the doctor, I'll just remember that things used to be much worse. Don't forget to share these crazy devices on Facebook by clicking below.