Chances are, you've come across a box or two of old photos in the attic. The pictures are tattered and yellowed in the corners, and the clothing everyone is wearing is dated. However, the activities taking place in the photographs are often not too different from modern day. Humans are still humans, no matter how fancy our camera lenses are, or how frilly our collars are.
While it might seem like a contemporary obsession, it turns out that we've always been fascinated by dressing our pets up in human clothes. How do we know? Well, it's nothing new to document it either. Here are 26 vintage pictures of pets that show that absolutely nothing has changed over the years.
1. Care for a drive?
2. Bath time!
3. This head scarf-glasses combo was very fashionable circa 1950.
4. Unhappy pup couples were just as adorable in 1935 as they are now. Maybe even more so, given that top hat.
5. PSA: Don't drink and drive!
6. How very Victorian of that terrier to don such a flashy collar.
7. Even puppies in containers were popular in the 50s.
8. A WWI pup, 1916.
9. Dressing up pets to be in human situations came way before YouTube.
10. I'd listen to this little lady play in any concert.
11. Just your average laundry day.
12. Look at these little pyros!
13. In 1914, flight was only 11 years old. This kitten was very on trend in this picture.
14. They're swinging right into our hearts.
15. Hm, dog paws were much more hand-like back then...
16. I can hardly get my cat to sit still for two seconds.
17. Can we take a second to acknowledge how creepy this one is?
18. Puppies pushing kitties!
19. "You may now kiss the bride."
20. Safety first, Butch.
21. I know everyone smoked back then, but even the dogs?
22. She's beautiful on the inside.
23. Very high class.
24. So dapper!
25. "Kids these days, with their hip hop and rock and roll..."
26. He's thinking of his next great American novel.
I don't know about you, but I think it's time to bring the top hat back. If not for humans, at least for dogs. Here's to never putting a stop to documenting pets in people's clothes!