When most people think of vodka, they think about consuming it. Maybe a cosmopolitan or a martini comes to a mind, or perhaps it just brings back memories of a raucous night. But did you know that the alcohol isn't just for drinking? Vodka can be used for many things, from solving pesky smelly shoe problems, to getting rid of rust from razor blades, or even calming dark under-eye circles. If you have a bottle of vodka in your liquor cabinet, consider dedicating it to these uses instead of cocktails. Check out the 17 vodka hacks below to get started.
1. Deodorize your stinky shoes.
Mix one part water and one part vodka in a spray bottle. Then mist your shoes and let them dry. The alcohol kills bacteria, instead of masking it like a perfume.
2. Vodka mixed with apple cider vinegar makes a great bug repellant.
Mix together one part water, one part apple cider vinegar, and one part vodka. Then add essential oils like peppermint or lemon oil for scent.
3. There's a vodka-based home remedy to soothe earaches.
Mix a shot of vodka with honey and heat up the solution. Every two hours, you can apply two to three drops. Just make sure you don't use this remedy if you have signs of an infection like puss or a fever.
4. You can remove lipstick, or any oil-based stains, with vodka.
Soak the area with vodka and then dislodge the gunk with a toothbrush. Rinse it off and wash as usual.
5. De-rust screws with vodka.
Let them soak for a few hours, then wipe away the rust.
6. Add a spoonful of vodka to your dish soap when you do the dishes. It helps break through tough grease.
Plus, it won't leave streaks on your glassware.
7. Vodka binds to essential oils, making it perfect for DIY reed diffusers.
Mix essential oils, one part water, and one part vodka to make the solution.
8. Use vodka as an astringent to kill bacteria in your pores.
Just make sure to use a moisturizer afterwards, because it will dry out your skin.
9. Make a reusable ice pack with vodka.
The alcohol will keep the water from freezing completely, leaving you with a malleable first aid helper.
10. You can also use vodka to make cold compresses for under your eyes.
Soak makeup pads in vodka and water and stick them in the freezer.
11. Kill the weeds in your garden with vodka.
If you don't want to use pesticides, this is a great solution.
12. Clean off your razors with vodka instead of water.
This will keep them sanitary and ensure that the blades don't rust.
13. You can consume vodka without necessarily drinking it by making vodka gummy bears.
Soak the sweet treats in vodka for two days to make a bear-shaped version of Jell-O shots.
14. Make DIY mouthwash with vodka and cinnamon.
Put one cup of vodka and nine tablespoons of cinnamon in an airtight jar. Let it sit for two weeks. When the time has passed, you have mouthwash!
15. A classic, savory pasta sauce is made with vodka.
Vodka sauce is made with tomatoes and cream, but also includes a cup of the hard stuff. Read a recipe here.
16. Make DIY vanilla extract with vodka and vanilla beans.
Split vanilla beans down the middle. Soak them in vodka for a month, then strain before use.
17. Turn vodka into custom-flavored gin.
Gin is made from a flavorless grain alcohol base, which means you can add juniper, let it infuse for a few days, and then strain it to make gin.
(via Business Insider)
I never thought to use vodka to clean off my razors, but now that I know, it makes complete sense. I'm going to do this from now on. You better believe that I'm also making some boozy gummy bears for a party this weekend!
Which of these hacks will you try first?